Friday, October 26, 2018

Rag Dolls Quilt

I have enjoyed creating rag doll blocks since September and now am struggling with how best to assemble the blocks into a quilt.  Just lining them up didn't appeal to me.  A staggered arrangement gave them more life.



My first attempt at sashing overwhelmed the blocks I worked so hard to create, since there was just too much color and the eye was overwhelmed.


After doing some research on line to look at different examples of sashing I came across an exciting presentation possibility using "wonky" sashing to tilt the blocks. http://whynotsew.blogspot.com/2011/11/topsy-turvy-sashing-tutorial-wonky.html

This combined with a single color cream background may be the best solution to make them stand out and to give them even more movement.  My next consideration was whether to frame the blocks or to leave them unframed.  I think I have decided to leave them unframed.




Now I must decide on borders, yeah or nay?  I sort of like the patchwork borders, but I'm not sure.  Again, I don't want to take away from the rag doll blocks.... Maybe a white border on the outside?  I can see 'spirals of wind' stitches for the quilting around the blocks.  Lots more thinking needed!


To be continued!


No comments: