Friday, December 19, 2014

A Special Gift!

Sometimes you just hit on the perfect gift for someone!  This morning I 'helped' to create the perfect gift for a friend of mine.  Julie's mother had been a knitter and crocheter.  She had been working on an afghan for Julie's family but wasn't able to finish it before her death.  Recently Julie's father also passed away.  Her family was tasked with cleaning out the house to ready it for sale.  Knowing that I knit and crochet, Julie gifted me with a large bag of her mother's yarn that had been in storage for years.  As I sorted through the skeins of yarn I also found several strips of an uncompleted afghan that her mother had been working on.  I admired the beautiful work and reflected on the hours she must have spent creating the strips.  I thought about what I could possibly do to make something of the strips for Julie.  Pillows was a possibility or maybe something else......

This morning inspiration struck!  As I laid out the strips to try to figure out how to turn them into something useful, I draped a strip around my neck and looked in the mirror.  COWL!  Ah ha!  I rummaged through my stash of antique buttons (great fun :-) and came up with 4 perfect buttons.


I placed the live stitches on a needle and created a garter stitch edge on one side and single crocheted and slip stitched back an edge on the other end.







I sewed on the 4 buttons and steam blocked the cowl.




Here is Julie in her warm hug from her mom :-)  We both cried.....




No comments: