Saturday, October 11, 2008

Apple Crisp, Apple butter! Yum!!!

Mom and dad brought over a huge bucket of apples from their trees last weekend. This was a great year for fruit production of all kinds. So far I've turned them into two batches of apple crisp (Mmmmmm, warm with vanilla ice cream.....) and one batch of apple butter, which I canned today. Boy is it good!! I made it in my crock pot. It took all day to cook it down. I still have about 2/3 of a bucket of apples left!!! Yikes! I guess applesauce is in my future tomorrow!

The leaves are getting spectacular now. The beautiful blue skies we've had over the last couple of days really sets them off to their best advantage. I just love all the oranges, golds and reds. They inspire me to be creative! I just love leaves. Every year at this time I start designing quilts in my head. Maybe someday I'll make one. Hopefully we will be going on the Maple Highlands bike trail between Middlefield and Chardon tomorrow for a bike ride. Its gorgeous this time of year and only about 17 miles round trip. Either that or we'll go golfing, which would be fun too.

Its so nice to be done with all the 90+ lab reports to grade. I worked on making Christmas gifts today and planted about 44 bulbs in the front garden beds as well as all the apple cooking. I still have a lot left to plant! Oh well, I'll be happy that I did it in the Spring. Roasted hot dogs over a fire made from all the twigs and branches that fell during the remnants of Hurricane Ike. George got all the finishing touches done on the tankless waterheater installation. It was trash day in South Russell, so we hauled the old water heater and several other large misc. pieces of trash over to City Hall. It so nice that they offer this twice a year. They certainly get a lot of stuff by the end of the day.

Make it a good day!

No comments: